Thursday, December 28, 2006

Book #100 - The Know-it-All by A.J. Jacobs


RECOMMENDED

At the beginning of the year, I made it my goal to read 50 books in 2006. I'd never kept a reading list before, so I didn't know how many books I was reading. Fifty books seemed like a lot. Fifty books seemed almost impossible.

I finished my 50th book in June. So then, because I can't leave well enough alone, I changed my goal to 100 books.

It seems fitting that my 100th book would be about someone who had a reading goal of their own. Granted, reading the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica is a little more ambitious than what I did.

I enjoyed The Know-it-All. You wouldn't expect it, but the book was humorous. Jacobs is likeable, and he weaves in stories about his life, from joining Mensa but feeling inadequate to visiting EB headquarters to he and his wife's struggle to get pregnant. And, keeping with my unintentional theme this month, there's all the trivia you'd expect.

Reading a set of encyclopedias seems like something I'd dream up. I feel grateful for this book, because now I know how painfully boring and life taking-over it would be. I can file the idea away in the back of my head, along with all my other poorly thought-up schemes, and go about thinking up other bad ideas, like reading 150 books next year.

1 comment:

Zach said...

I saw this book the other day when I was at Powell's and thought of you.